Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sanders aren’t just for sanding

Workshop - The quarter sheet DeWalt (check out its background here) is still going strong and is perfect for how I work.  For example, on a stool I'll often sand the middle of the front rungs to mimic the wear usually caused by years of fidgeting feet. As such, a sander for me is more a sculpting tool than a timber finisher.
Consequently, I tend to use the edges and corners of the sander, wearing out those parts of the paper well before the middle is spent.  That’s where the quarter sheet sander is great, the edge to middle ratio is definitely in my favour. 
If you use sanders like me I’d recommend giving a quarter sheeter a whirl, and the DeWalt in particular.
Thought - The “edge to middle ratio”, what an interesting analogy for the public and private faces we have.   With the sander, the closer the edges are to the middle the more even the wear.  Is the same true for us? 
I like the way The Message puts this idea… "And don't say anything you don't mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, 'I'll pray for you,' and never doing it, or saying, 'God be with you,' and not meaning it. You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say 'yes' and 'no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.” Matthew 5:33-37, The Message.

No comments:

Post a Comment