Friday, November 8, 2013

The $64,000 question

Over decades of making things, and making mistakes, I’ve developed a gaggle of questions that I ask myself about a project before I pick up a tool (when I remember that is).  They don’t apply to every job, but they do make me stop and think.
  1. Have I done this before? (Hint - usually the answer is "no".)
  2. How many do I need?
  3. Would construction benefit from an accurate jig or repeatable process?
  4. Does it need to interact with (eg fit into, sit on etc) something else?
  5. What type or level of finish will it have?
  6. What level of precision is required?
  7. Does it have a left, right, front, back, top or bottom? (Hint - this is a big one.)
  8. What is the ideal tool set and do I have it (and does it matter)?
  9. Should I consider buying one instead of making one?
  10. Have I really thought this through? (hint - a lot of times the answer is "no".)
It’s not a bullet proof recipe, but it does often bring to light some aspect that I would have otherwise overlooked.
There are also some other questions that I occasionally ask myself.  These have been picked up from various online sources and tweaked by me, for me.  Maybe they will work for you too.
  • Where do my thoughts first go when I wake up in the morning?
  • What is my greatest worry?
  • What, if I can’t have, do I get distressed or anxious about?
  • What person or activity do I often find myself anticipating?
  • Where do I seek comfort when things get tough?
  • What preoccupies my thoughts?
  • Where do I find my self-worth or identify?
  • What is my greatest hope for the future?
My reasoning is that if God doesn’t somehow feature in at least some of my answers then perhaps I need to reconsider the boundaries around, and balance within, my life.  

A clock comprising a large gas pressure valve, recycled bolts, chain from my Dad's shed and
any hours work.Answering question 7
really took some thought.


1 comment:

  1. THAT'S where I have been going wrong... Instead of 10 questions before starting I only ask One usually half way through the job , namely "why am I doing this ..?". Thankyou 'wise-wan'. I shall mend my ways :-)). (grand clock !)

    ReplyDelete